Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

So it's day one of 2012.  Can you believe how fast time is flying?  There's good news about 2012 already! The first good news is, of course, the world didn't end (again. How many times will it take? lol).  More importantly, this year should bring some really great things my way.  My husband has been promoted at work and will start 5 weeks of training soon.  After that, the job promises a nice raise and a possible move which is exciting!  As for me, I'll start school again in January and will hopefully be able to find a fun job in between finishing all my OTHER degrees. :)  I never make new years resolutions since I rarely keep them anyway (though that's half the point isn't it?) but I do have some goals for myself in the new year.  And here they are:



Adopt more Buddhist practices:  Some of you who have known me for awhile will remember that for two years I was a Buddhist.  I spent a year in study for it and practiced for a full year before it became a struggle for me.  As my father has pointed out on many occassions, Buddhism is NOT a religion.  It's a philosophy for life.  Still I found that it made it difficult to keep my Christian faith as Buddhism asks you to look within for spiritual clairty and peace, while Christianity asks you to look to Christ.  I'm not going to lie, I found Buddhism more fulfilling.  I do believe in God and I was raised as a Christian person.  But honestly, most of the stress in my life comes from mental clutter and Buddhism helped me to eliminate that from my life and my mind.  I slept better, ate better, and was generally more at peace.  While I don't intent to go full throttle back to being a Buddhist (although I never say never!)  I want to go back to getting rid of the things in my life that cause distress and work on improving my clarity and peace within.



Finish Learning French:  I spent about 6-7 years in school to learn Spanish and it's come in handy numerous times!  But what I really wanted to take in school was French.  It simply wasn't offered.  Recently, I decided that there was no reason I couldn't still learn it.  It's never too late, right?  So I started teaching myself.  It's been an interesting journey!! French is not anything like Spanish and not much at all like English either.  But it's one I'd like to continue.  I learned along the way that my kitty, Aoife, prefers to be spoken to in French.  She doesn't even think about moving her fat lazy butt if you tell her to "come here"  but just one little whisper of "viennent ici" and she's sitting prettily by your feet.  Fancy kitty.



Eat more often:  This is one I saw on  Marina's blog and I thought as soon as I read it, that sounds like me.  I skip breakfast most days, eat a small lunch and then eat a huge dinner.  It's not really a good way to go about things.  Although it hasn't caused me any real weight issues like it could, it does mess with my schedule and gives me headaches.  I can't promise to eat breakfast because that's a battle I'll never win!  So instead I'm going to try to eat more smaller meals a day instead of one big one in the evening!



Make more time for my social life:  This seems like a no brainer but for some reason it NEVER happens.  I spend ZERO time at home and I still manage to miss seeing the people who are most important in my life.  I need to really work on that.  My gym membership expired this past month (or this month, need to check) so I'm going to use my gym time as friend time and workout from home or at the gym we have here.  Physical health is important but social health is important too!  And I'll save 30 minutes just by not driving! :)
Do more of what I love:  I LOVE to cook and write and craft.  I do zero of those things.  Well,  not entirely true. But most days I have so much going on I'm too tired to really cook and I never get time to write.  Crafting I get to here and there but my crafting supplies are such a wreck right now just thinking about it makes me go crazy.  So I'm going to try to get back to doing those things.  And with my husband's new job freeing up more of his time, the cooking thing might right itself.  Until then though I'm making a solid effort to cook EVEN if it's just for one!

So that's it for the things I want to accomplish in 2012! At least, for now!  What kinds of goals have you made for yourself?


3 comments:

  1. yay - sounds like such an awesome plan. I am really interested in the Buddhism helping you to declutter your mind.

    Also, if you can't eat breakfast - DRINK IT. Drink fruit juice or juice some veggies xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip Debbie! I'm supposed to eat every four hours and I NEVER do it> Never thought about drinking veggie juice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. x

    p.s. I'm having a giveaway from fox house if you'd like to check it out. :)
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete