Friday, December 7, 2012

Chick Pea Croquettes



Yesterday, I decided to get my cats some fancy food as a treat. Since they never get any fish I thought it would be a good idea to get them some tuna! While they enjoyed the food, the smell of it got me craving my mothers tuna croquettes. One of the things about going vegetarian is that there is really no substitute for fish. No other food really captures the flaky, light, wonderful quality of a perfectly cooked filet of fish. I stopped trying ages ago. But tuna is a different thing. A can of tuna is not flaky deliciousness. It's a salty, wet, mess of something that used to be glorious. I had a recipe a few weeks ago for a tuna salad made from chick peas (which I love anyway) and it turned out pretty nicely so I decided to just run with it and try to use them for these patties. The result was FABULOUS. Even my meat eating friends couldn't tell the difference between these and the real thing. Healthy. Delicious. Crispy. You can't beat that.

You need:
1 can (15oz.) chick peas (DO NOT buy low sodium! Don't be tempted by it's pretty packaging and promises of a healthier tomorrow. It won't work for this recipe!)
1 egg, beaten
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3/4 c. pulsed crackers (I used Town House) or bread crumbs (panko work well)

Directions:

Drain the chick peas and then pulse them through a food processor until they have a rough but paste like consistency. Mix the spices and chick peas together. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Then add the egg. Mix well and then add crackers 1/4c at a time until the mixture begins to stick. You may need to add more or less crackers than the recipe calls for so be prepared. The patties should hold their shape and not fall apart but should not stick to your hands either. Once the patties are formed, fry them up in a bit of oil until they are browned on each side (about 2 minutes per side on medium heat). Now serve them and impress your friends!

This recipe can easily be made fancier by adding any number of spices to the mix. I've seen recipes which add dill, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, etc. So don't be intimidated by it. It's a great basic recipe that you can tweak to make something great of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment