Sunday, December 2, 2012

Vegetarian Potato Soup


Last week I was feeling a little sick and decided to make myself some comforting potato soup. My mother used to always make it for me when I wasn't feeling so good...but of course, hers had a chicken stock base. I used some of the veggies I always have in my fridge and came up with a sort of potato chowder. It tastes AMAZING and best of all, it's easy. I'm not great with measurements but I've approximated what I used for the recipe. It does contain milk but you could easily make it vegan by using a soy milk or simply adding more "stock" and adding some non-dairy creamer at the end. My mother used to do that with hers and it works like a charm for extra creaminess without milk or cream.

You'll need:


3 or 4 medium potatoes
3 stalks of organic celery
Half a vidalia onion (or a large onion of your choice)
2 organic carrots or about 8 organic baby carrots
1/4 stick of butter (or Earth Balance for a vegan version)
1/4 cup flour
Two cups of water
Two cups milk (soy or regular or sub water and add about three TBSP non dairy creamer)
One cube and one half of Edward & Sons "not chicken" bouillon cubes*
Half a cube of Edward & Sons Garden Veggie bouillon
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
One teaspoon of Poultry Seasoning (see below for recipe or use a pre-made version)
Sea Salt
Pepper
One stalk of green onion (optional)

Directions:
Combine the water and the bouillon cubes to create a stock. Set aside.
Chop the celery, carrots and onions into small pieces and combine in a saucepan with the butter. Let simmer on low heat until the onions are soft and transparent. After about three minutes, add the garlic powder and the poultry seasoning. In another pot boil the cubed potatoesin salted water on high for 8 to 10 minutes until they are soft. When the vegetables are finished transfer them to a large soup pot and add the flour. Turn the heat to medium high and stir to make a roux (flour should brown slightly). Slowly add the stock and let cook on medium high until it has thickened a bit. Add the potatoes when they are soft and then slowly add the milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for about five minutes and then add the green onions. Serve.

*You can add veggies to your liking. I always have celery and carrots on hand. You can also use your favorite 'chicken' bouillon but be aware that the cubes I used make 2 cups of stock each. So you may need to use more if your chosen cubes only make one cup.

For the poultry seasoning:
Combine equal parts of the following spices in a mortar and pestle:
Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil, and Thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment