Monday, February 11, 2013

Deep Fried Soft Boiled Eggs


Today I have something totally delicious to share with you!  Deep fried soft boiled eggs. Yes, you heard that right. DEEP. FRIED. SOFT. BOILED. EGGS. It's everything I love all in one.  OK, this is probably NOT the healthiest snack option BUT it is yum and easy and let's face it, it's still better than a bag of crisps or a pack of cookies. I could only eat one of these in a sitting but I'm dying to try pairing them up with soups or noodles!  Anyway here's the lowdown:

You need:
2 eggs, soft boiled
1/2c Panko bread crumbs 
1T sea salt
1T pepper (I used cracked black peppercorns!)
1/4c flour
A deep fryer or a pot of hot oil

There are a lot of variations on the ingredients here.  I started with a vegan rice Parmesan mixed with the panko. This is how I've seen a lot of people doing this.  I don't know if it was the rice parm or just the whole thing but I didn't love it.  I tried a few other combo's but the simple black pepper/salt combo won out for me.  I used black peppercorns which I cracked just before I mixed them into the panko, using a mortar and pestle. They have a stronger flavour than a standard black pepper.  I also find that it's most effiecient to mix the salt with the flour but the pepper with the panko!  It seems to give the whole thing more flavour but you can always salt after if you need it. One other thing you can adjust is the cook time of the eggs. I did six minute eggs the first time and seven the second. I prefer the seven minute eggs because more of the yolk is hardened to an extent which gives it a little more flavour and makes it easier to eat. All the yolk isn't just running out everywhere when you cut it and you can pick up the halves and eat them with your fingers! (Yes, I  do that.)  OK...on to the directions!!


Start by boiling the eggs.  I like to sit mine out on the counter while the water heats in order to prevent them from cracking.  You also want to use eggs which aren't super fresh since they'll peel easier later and save you A LOT of hassle.  Once the water reaches a boil, add the eggs to the pot and boil them for the time you desire. Six and seven minute eggs work best for this but I've heard of brave people going for five. This is entirely up to you.  I use an old Japanese bento trick to keep the yolks centered while they cook.  For the first two minutes they're boiling, roll the eggs around the pot gently with your spoon. This allows the white to harden and keeps the yolk in the center rather than to one side or the bottom. 


 After they're finished cooking, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and then you can get started on mixing the panko and spices and heating the oil to fry them in.


 After the eggs have cooled, peel them gently (GENTLY) and then roll them in the flour/salt mix.  Then roll them in the egg (you can also use milk) and last the panko/pepper mix. 


 Make sure you roll the eggs gently, especially if you didn't get the yolk centered. They're fragile and will crack and break easily forcing you to start over. I had one crack the first time I did this (I had peeled it funny) but it didn't reach the yolk so I went ahead with it. It turned out fine but it was SUPER tricky to deal with after that so just be careful and treat them like what they are....EGGS.


 Then put them in the hot oil for roughly thirty seconds or until they're brown and hot. You don't want to cook them too long in the oil or else the center will harden.  Repeat with remaining eggs.  Eat these right away so that they don't get cold and yucky! If you've done it correctly, the outside will be a crispy shell and the inside a hot, gooey delicious egg!


Tell me it doesn't make you hungry?  Sooooo....yum!


You can use this same trick on other things....like...avocados?

Deep fried eggs and avocados are the breakfast of champions!!! If you try this out let me know! I'd love to hear how you like it!!

2 comments:

  1. wow i bet a lot of people will like this recipe! i hate runny egg though hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband thinks they're gross too! You could certainly do it with a hard boiled one but I don't know how good it would be!

      Delete