Friday, June 21, 2013

A Wishful Green Thumb...


This little plant is a cutting from a Hoya my aunt has.  It came from her grandmothers plant and in like, 1987 she got her own piece to start growing.  At some point two summers ago, while we were visiting her, the Hoya she was growing actually bloomed.  This is what it looks like:


Sweet, right?  I've never actually seen/heard of a Hoya until this happened.  It's a flower, yeah but it's not like one of those fancy girly flowers with sweet scents and fluffy petals floating in the wind.  It's  waxy and sturdy and each variety has its own, unique scent. It's also a quite temperamental plant, which I like cause let's face it, all of us are a little difficult at times, no? It might bloom the first year, or maybe after two or three. It needs lots of light, but indirect.  You can't repot it or trim the dead blooms or you risk it NEVER blooming. I'm not great at plants.  I'm great at forgetting about them, killing them, and subjecting them to endless kitty torture.  Most plants do not last in my house so while I REALLY wanted one of these for myself I was reluctant to take one. Who wants to be the person who kills the family plant? Not me.  Still, my curiosity overrode my fear and I got a clipping from my mom.  Above is the plant when I first got it.  And one month later...


It grew! It grew about an inch!  I don't actually play with this thing cause I'm like, terrified it will die.  So here's what I do...I leave it outside in indirect sun when it's warm and in the winter months I put it in a high window where the kitties can't nom it.  When it's dry (or more likely, when I remember) I water it. Just until no more water will soak rapidly into the dirt.  It's pretty low maintenance really. I've read lots of blogs which say I should be feeding the little guy all sorts of plant foods but really, I don't have the time or inclination for that and he seems to be doing fine on his own.  No blooms yet but hey, maybe he's a slow one!  So cut to now, a year after I first obtained my little plant AND...



Be proud you guys! Not only is he still ALIVE (always a plus) but he's grown a WHOLE NEW STEM. Woo!! I don't think it's anywhere near the blooming stage but the fact that it even still exists and hasn't like, shriveled and died is a near miracle in itself.  I couldn't be more proud!  I will definitely update this as time goes on but for now...my confidence is building. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to handle those pesky African Violets! ;)

Bee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment