Monday, July 8, 2013

Zoo Rat


So this past May my local zoo had a bunch of advertisements for Zoo Babies.  For those of you who might not know what this means, it means...babies. LOTS of babies. Cute, fuzzy, snuggly (sometimes) baby animals and let's face it, who can really resist that? Not me. It's been awhile since I've been to the zoo...probably about two years if not more so I was excited at the prospect of going back. First I made a point of visiting another zoo, which is about two hours drive from me.  I'm glad I did because our zoo is a SUPER SUPER awesome zoo...BUT...it lacks one important thing:


Kangaroos.  Well, really almost any Australian animal. Yes ladies and gentlemen, our zoo is devoid of cute outback creatures like wallaby's and dingos and wallaroos. Not even a Koala to be seen. :(  That said, two non-local zoo trips later and I'm not entirely sad about it anymore because what it lacks in Australia it makes up for in...well just about everything else. Like this:

 
Baby Pallas cats. SO CUTE. And this:


Our baby giraffe, Lulu. Did you know there are nine subspecies of giraffe? We only have one sadly, the Massai Giraffe. Also these:


That's a baby skunk in the upper right corner! And baby flamingo in the lower left. Cuteness overload. And more importantly, THIS:


This is our traveling rhino. So named because there are five...FIVE rhino exhibits in our zoo. Yet somehow there is only ever ONE rhino on display. Somedays it's the Indian Rhino and other days maybe the Black Rhino or the Sumatran Rhino...but only ever one. I'm convinced they simply shuffle him from exhibit to exhibit. A clever ploy to keep us on our toes. I've even gone to the zoo in the rain. Like....serious RAIN


And the snow, but no pics of that just yet! It's official guys...I'm a zoo rat. And I like it...

1 comment: